Director of Finance – Abbotsford BC
The Klassen Business Group is a third-generation family enterprise and has been in business since 1963. The company currently employs over 120 people across several business units, from primary bases of operations in Abbotsford and Merritt. The Klassen family intends to continue to grow and evolve in business together for generations to come, rooted in values of collaboration, humility, faith, growth and change. With an unparalleled work ethic the company diligently works as a diverse team with open minded collaboration.
The Klassen Business Group has four operating companies/business units, the primary of which is Valley Carriers, which operates a fleet of fifty trucks and trailers in the wood residuals industry and the manufacture and sale of specialty blends of wood residuals and composted organic materials primarily to the agricultural and horticultural industry. This past year, Valley Carriers was listed on the Growth500 list of fastest growing companies in Canada. Klassen Business Group also operates a fleet of logging trucks, a retail landscape supply business and owns a majority stake in a bagged shavings company.
The Klassen Business Group is currently searching for a Director of Finance.
The successful candidate will be a key leader in the daily operation of the business and provide analytical support across the company with a focus on multi-company consolidation and team building. The Director of Finance will report to the CFO, work closely with the executive team, be a key member of the senior management team and oversee the company’s finance department. This individual will play a significant role in achieving long-term goals, developing and monitoring key performance metrics, analyzing and implementing new systems as well as maintain an existing accounting software program. A hands-on role, this individual will be strongly relied upon to influence the overall strategy and direction of the company while effectively executing daily operating activities.
- A leader who gains confidence and builds a cohesive team, works collaboratively, effectively and supervises a team that includes five direct reports.
- A dynamic leader who successfully inspires the team to internalize the vision and business direction
- Proactive approach, instils absolute confidence that they are taking care of business, the right systems are in place and people are engaged and accountable, communicates expectations regularly
- Prepares and presents financial reporting and analysis to operations
- A proven leader who attends and participates in strategic planning sessions and can develop, implement and execute plans.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge including consolidations, leases, revenue recognition and inventory.
- Guides and monitors strategic initiatives, accesses company financials, makes recommendations
- Establishes performance metrics, identifies areas for improvement, and develops recommendations that support the company’s strategic plan
- Identifies and monitors opportunities to improve financial performance and profitability, makes recommendations pertaining to strategic initiatives
- Works with leadership team to develop annual and long-term forecasts to meet strategic plans
- Reviews financial statements and manages annual accounting reviews across all companies
- Preparation and filing of all related government filings and government compliance reporting on a timely basis
- Continual monitoring of internal and external information proactively, manages relationships with external accountants
- 7+ years of accounting/finance experience, CPA with solid business acumen
- The ability to effectively manage the consolidation of multiple companies
- Has inner confidence with a natural ability to be curious, very self aware with proven ability to lead a team
- Entrepreneurial with strong emotional intelligence, previous experience working within a family enterprise is an asset
- Solutions oriented with demonstrated understanding of people, works well with various personality types
- Demonstrated ability working with technology, has a strong desire to keep learning and growing professionally and personally
- Advanced financial knowledge with a strong understanding of practices and procedures necessary to effectively control financial outcomes, including the ability to develop budgets, forecasts and performance reports.
- Willingness to take a hands-on approach to daily activities, has confidence to think creatively and develop innovative ideas
- Proven track record of being organized, deadline driven and detail oriented, a self-motivated high achiever
- Familiarity with Sage 300 or any ERP trucking software is an asset, knowledge of standard computer software including Microsoft Windows and Office with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel with proven ability to identify pertinent information.
People First Solutions is one of Vancouver’s leading Executive Recruitment firms, dedicated to recruiting top talent.
Our goal at People First Solutions is to hire top performers for our clients. To this end, our selection process is thorough, enabling us to collect very detailed information. We have based our selection process on Topgrading™, a proven method that allows our clients’ to effectively match top performing candidates to key leadership roles.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role we invite you to provide a cover letter and résumé in word or pdf. format in confidence to either Bob Murray or Adrienne Giffen.
Bob Murray – email@example.com – 604.803.4377
Adrienne Giffen – firstname.lastname@example.org – 604.209.8023
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role.