The Real Estate Council of British Columbia (Council) is a professional regulatory agency established by the provincial government in 1958 for the self-governance of the real estate industry. Its mandate is to protect the public interest by enforcing the licensing and licensee conduct requirements of the Real Estate Services Act (RESA). The Council is responsible for licensing individuals and brokerages engaged in real estate sales, rental and strata property management. The Council also enforces entry qualifications, investigates complaints against licensees and imposes disciplinary sanctions under the Act and administers a compensation scheme for claims of wrongful taking by licensees.
Reporting directly to the Director, Accounting & Audit, the Auditor/Investigator will be responsible for conducting financial and management audits on licensed real estate brokerages.
- Performs the Council’s program of auditing real estate brokerages to ensure compliance with the Real Estate
- Services Act and performs field investigations resulting from consumer complaints.
- Initiates correspondence with licensees as a result of qualifications on exceptions reported by accountants.
- Reviews financial information provided by brokerages as a result of audit investigations and reports and reviews financial statements to determine if the licensee is in sound financial circumstances.
- Responds to enquiries from consumers and real estate licensees.
- Assists in the development of field audit procedures and strategy.
- Participates in assigned Council committees, as requested and in the development of policies and guidelines for Council, as required.
- Ability to work in sensitive audit/investigative environments and to submit evidence before Council discipline hearings, as required.
- Provides support and expertise, as required, to members of staff when requested.
Skills & Qualifications
- Preferably a professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, or other recognized accounting designation).
- Above average working knowledge of the Real Estate Services Act and familiar with the reporting requirements and financial reporting under Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer proficiency.
- Ability to maintain productive relationships with Council Members, real estate managing brokers, and members of the organization at all levels.
- Access to a vehicle and willing to travel throughout BC as required.
People First Solutions is one of Vancouver’s leading Executive Recruitment firms, dedicated to recruiting top talent.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role we invite you to provide a cover letter and résumé in confidence to Michael O’Brien.
Michael O’Brien – firstname.lastname@example.org – 604.760.7649
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role and wish to advise that we will be in direct contact only with those that we wish to interview.