The Real Estate Council of British Columbia (Council) is a regulatory agency established by the provincial government in 1958. Its mandate is to protect the public interest by enforcing the licensing and licensee conduct requirements of the Real Estate Services Act. The Council is responsible for licensing individuals and brokerages engaged in real estate sales, rental and strata property management. The Council also enforces entry qualifications, investigates complaints against licensees and imposes disciplinary sanctions under the Act.
Reporting directly to the Accounting Supervisor, the Accounting Assistant is primarily responsible for the accounts payable and banking functions, as well as various other accounting tasks to ensure that the Council’s books and records are maintained and up to date on a timely basis.
- Processes, maintains, and reconciles the daily receipts for licensing and assessment fees remitted to Council, the Real Estate Errors & Omissions Insurance Corporation (REEOIC) and Real Estate Compensation Fund Corporation (RECFC).
- Prepares and reconciles the daily bank deposits and cash flow schedules for the various bank accounts, credit card receipts, and transactions processed for REEOIC and RECFC payments.
- Follows up on NSF cheques from licensees and ensures immediate replacement.
- Maintains, reconciles, and replenishes office petty cash.
- Ensures funds are available in the bank account for transfers, cheque issuance and payroll deductions.
- Maintains, reconciles, and distributes the Licensing and Receipting statistics and credit card payment charges.
- Processes and maintains vendor files for accounts payable and reviews purchase invoices for accuracy, validity, and account allocation as required. Processes invoices for cheque payment and prepares overpayment and/or refunds for licensees, as required.
- Maintains, follows up and reconciles Accounts Receivable for penalties and disciplinary costs.
- Processes and receipts licensees payment as required.
- Regularly monitors the archiving and storage of non-current receipts, vendor files, Cheque Registers, Receipt Registers and Receipt Statistics.
- Responds to requests from licensees for copy of receipts or queries re payments, and queries from staff and external parties, as required.
- Performs other related duties in the absence of the Accounting Supervisor to ensure adequate books and records are maintained in the accounting department.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in an accounting department and the procedures and processes encountered in a small office environment.
- The completion of post-secondary accounting courses, certificate, or diploma is required.
- Ability to multi task and prioritize on a daily basis.
- Ability to work independently and at times, without supervision and direction.
- Ability to work with various computerized accounting software.
People First Solutions is one of Vancouver’s leading Executive Recruitment firms, dedicated to recruiting top talent.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role we invite you to provide a cover letter and résumé in confidence to Michael O’Brien.
Michael O’Brien – firstname.lastname@example.org – 604.760.7649
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role and wish to advise that we will be in direct contact only with those that we wish to interview.