Director of Legal Services
The Real Estate Council of British Columbia (Council) is a regulatory agency established by the provincial government in 1958. Its mandate is to protect the public interest by enforcing the licensing and licensee conduct requirements of the Real Estate Services Act. The Council is responsible for licensing individuals and brokerages engaged in real estate sales, rental and strata property management. The Council also enforces entry qualifications, investigates complaints against licensees and imposes disciplinary sanctions under the Act.
Reporting directly to the Executive Officer, the Director of Legal Services will be responsible for the organization, planning and management of the Legal Services department, and for the coordination of legal services provided to Council by external legal counsel. The Director of Legal Services will also be responsible for providing the duties of a barrister and solicitor to the Council, in the normal course of the practice of law in the Province of British Columbia and will also provide legal advice and representation to the Executive Officer and Council in legal matters as required.
- Provides general legal counsel to the Executive Officer, Council members and staff and provides licensees with assistance with practice problems and ethical concerns in order to comply with the Real Estate Services Act (RESA) and the Council Rules.
- Represents the Council, or arranges for legal representation, in legal proceedings including: disciplinary proceedings under RESA; appeals, judicial reviews, and any civil proceedings before the courts, as required.
- Responds to queries from licensees and the public about RESA and the complaint/hearing process and responds to requests from the Ombudsman and concerns from the Superintendent of Real Estate.
- Coordinates with other legal counsel and legal staff for the preparation of formal charges in Notices of
- Hearing and prepares for disciplinary hearings, including preparation of instructions, document books, review of professional conduct history, interviewing witnesses and researching precedent cases for hearing decision and penalty.
- Manages the Council’s policies and procedures pertaining to statutory legislation, Council Rules, and committees.
- Coordinates and develops educational seminars for the practice of administrative law for the Council members and staff.
- Actively supports the Executive Officer and participates in the Council management by: providing leadership, identifying and communicating strategic issues, monitoring organizational performance, providing advice and solutions, and managing the department and ensures the goals and objectives of the Council are achieved in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Contributes to the drafting of various documents, communications, and articles as required, as well as provides information, case summaries and media releases to the Council’s Communications Officer with respect to Council’s Discipline Proceedings.
- Provide guidance and advice to the Compliance Department with respect to complaints from consumers and licensees and to the Audit Department on matters relating to industry practices.
Skills and Qualifications
- Membership in the Law Society of BC.
- Several years’ experience managing a legal department or group of lawyers and support staff.
- Commitment to providing quality service.
- Effective organizational abilities in personal work routines and an ability to handle diverse situations as they arise.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Effective file management.
- Excellent legal research and problem solving skills.
- Experience with volunteer/elected boards an asset.
- Good understanding of provincial and federal legislative processes.
- Prior experience in a regulatory environment would also be an asset.
People First Solutions is one of Vancouver’s leading Executive Recruitment firms, dedicated to recruiting top talent.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role we invite you to provide a cover letter and résumé in confidence to either Michael O’Brien or Bob Murray.
Michael O’Brien – firstname.lastname@example.org – 604 684-2288
Bob Murray – email@example.com – 604 684-2288