Valley Carriers is a multi-generational, family-owned log hauling, trucking, and specialty transportation company with hubs based in Merritt and Abbotsford, British Columbia, and operations reaching into Alberta and Washington.
Valley Carriers hauls wood residuals, soil, bark mulch, logs, grain, mushroom manure, and more. Currently, Valley Carriers has a fleet size of nearly fifty trucks and employs over 100 people. Valley Carriers is currently searching for a General Manager.
Reporting to the COO, the General Manager will have autonomy and be responsible for managing the overall operation of Valley Carriers. This individual will oversee the implementation and integration of the ERP system and be responsible for maintaining profitability, analyzing metrics and overseeing the administration of the business.
The successful candidate will lead the development and implementation of transportation practices focusing on exceptional quality and continuous improvement.
- A proven leader who gains the confidence and successfully inspires team to internalize the vision and business direction
- Ability to successfully develop initiatives and increase revenue in new and innovative ways
- Experience developing and monitoring performance metrics, identifying areas for improvement, and making recommendations that support the company’s strategic plan
- Proven track record implementing and enforcing health and safety practices throughout a company
- A track record of successfully updating and implementing a compensation structure aligned with best practices
- Experience recruiting, leading, coaching, and evaluating team in accordance with the company’s human resource policies and practices.
- In collaboration with COO implements and maintains policies and procedures pertaining to operations and distribution
- Contributes to growing a trusting and supportive culture where everyone is valued and respected
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial business environment, with previous operations experience in transportation, logistics and distribution
- A hands-on leader with 7+ years in a leadership role, excellent organizational, interpersonal, time-management and delegation skills who has successfully lead 50+ people
- Proven ability building and adapting defined systems, processes and procedures within a company, excellent knowledge and proficiency with ERP, preferably with previous experience in the trucking industry
- A consummate communicator who understands impact of communication, and leverages communication skills for success
- Solution oriented with demonstrated understanding of people, adaptable, works well with various personality types
- Proven track record of being organized, deadline driven and detail oriented, a self-motivated high achiever
- Brings a professional demeanour, is able to consistently coach, build and develop teams, with a demonstrated high level of integrity and ethics, leads by example
- A team player, who consistently leverages talent and expertise within the company
- Has in-depth knowledge of operations including health & safety, administration, human resources, accounting practices and business development
- Brings strong business acumen, mentorship capabilities and decision-making experience at senior level
- A creative thinker with a “can do” attitude, a natural relationship builder
Our goal at People First Solutions is to hire top performers for our clients. To this end, our selection process is thorough, enabling us to collect very detailed information. We base our selection process on Topgrading™, a proven method that allows our clients’ to effectively match top performing candidates to key leadership roles. As well, we integrate TalentSorter™, a behavioural science based assessment tool to help companies hire for “fit”.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role we invite you to provide a cover letter and résumé in PDF, in confidence to either Bob Murray or Adrienne Giffen.
Bob Murray – firstname.lastname@example.org – 604.803.4377
Adrienne Giffen – email@example.com – 604.209.8023
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role.